Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Day 200: Change of scenery


Copyright © 2009 Nicole Cordier. All rights reserved. (click to enlarge)

There's nothing like art to pull you out of your habitual routines. If you've been reading my blog lately, you might have noticed that I've gone down another rabbit hole of nuclear knowledge. It's likely to continue tomorrow, but for now my friend Nicole has helped pull me out temporarily with her totally genius photo-a-night project. Everyday (or night) she's going to post a new night or low-light photo to a blog reserved for the project. She's only been at the project since the new year began, but I'm already completely captivated. I can sense that making an intentional effort to check out the latest addition will create a welcome daily intervention in my life.

At this point, I've been in Massachusetts coming up on three weeks. Nicole's photos make me long for the city in a big way. From here, they are experienced as signals sent from another churning realm. Looking at them feels like a direct channel to the sensations that one encounters walking through it, which means all senses are activated. They sweat, they reflect, they move, they pause and pinpoint the passing moment. They look around corners, they draw your attention up, out, down. They breathe. They take in the spill that the street is in city life. The images' colors, clarity and subject matter cut right to a core. They don't mess around and boldly are, what they are, and in juxtaposition they are more. In this sense, they are the city, they are Nicole's personality and they are brilliantly magnetic in this realness.

Nicole is also an amazing polaroid photographer. I was lucky enough to be gifted a set of her photos for my 30th birthday. The same energy pulses out of these photos too. Stay tuned for her set of day light polaroids coming to the site soon, they are my favorite. There is series of car images that are really "musical" to me, beating loud visual percussion thumps outward.

Thank you Nicole!


1 comment:

nicole cordier said...

Aw, my first review. Thanks love! BTW, the city misses you too.