Sunday, September 7, 2008

Day 79: It suits me


this morning in prospect park

"I just run. I run into a void. Or maybe I should put it the other way: I run in order to acquire a void. But as you might expect, an occasional thought will slip into this void...The thoughts that occur to me while I'm running are like clouds in the sky. Clouds of different sizes. They come and go, while the sky remains the same sky as always. The clouds are mere guests in the sky that pass away and vanish, leaving behind the sky. The both exists and doesn't exisit. It has substance and at the same time doesn't. And we merely accept that vast expanse and drink it in... I think I've been able to run for more than twenty years for a simple reason: It suits me. Or at least because I don't find it at all painful. Human beings naturally continue doing things they like, and they don't continue what they don't like... "
- Haruki Murakami, What I Talk About When I Talk About Running

No comments: